With the shifting paradigm towards renewable energy sources, the demand for solar panels has significantly increased in recent years. Although the workings of all solar panels are similar, there are differences in structural and functional details across monocrystalline, polycrystalline, and thin-film solar panels.
A 250-watt solar panel is suitable mainly for residential purposes. It’s known for its sleek and compact design that can easily be installed on the rooftops of Indian homes and housing societies.
Since it is the lower power-rated panel amongst all other options available, installing a 250-watt solar panel kit is more affordable than you think. In addition, the entire arrangement provides enough electric energy to power residential and housing societies.
As the demand continues to rise, learning about the 250-watt solar panel price, applicable subsidy, benefits, limitations, and its working is important.
Benefits of 250-Watt Solar Panel
There are many reasons to install the 250-watt solar panel at your residence or smaller housing society establishment. Below are the advantages you can enjoy with the arrangement in India.
- Easy to Maintain: The 250-watt panels do not need any intensive maintenance routine. With basic cleaning and regular professional checks, you can keep your panels operating at optimal levels.
- High Durability: One of the significant benefits of solar panels of 250 watts capacity is that they are highly durable. The Indian climate is versatile, owing to different pressure and wind zones. Therefore, these panels are sturdy and long-lasting, making them suitable and efficient for most climate zones.
- Dependable Energy Supply: The 250-watt panels can offer maximum energy output during peak sun hours. This is one of the many reasons to invest in solar and have the panels installed for your residential property or society.
- Feasibility: A 250-watt solar panel can absorb a significant amount of sunshine, convert it into electric energy, and supply electricity to the connected home(s). Therefore, installing it on the rooftop sounds to be more feasible compared to solar panels of high capacity ratings.
- Compact Size: The 250-watt solar panel size is compact and small in comparison to other panel sizes. Houses with limited rooftop space or dimensions can consider this panel size.
- Convenient: A 250-watt solar panel arrangement is ideal for powering lights and lamps on a driveway, lawn, backyard, and so on. It can also be installed to brighten small parking lots, utility parks, and other establishments.
Working of a 250-Watt Solar Panel
While most people straight away ask for the cost of a 250-watt solar panel, it is essential to know how it works. This way, it becomes much easier to make the right decision and determine whether you need it for your application.
The solar cells first capture the sun’s rays incident on the reflective surfaces. After this, the solar energy is sent to the solar inverter, which converts direct current to alternating current. That’s because the electric circuits work on AC and not DC. Once the alternating current is generated, it is transferred to the battery, where the electric power is stored.
After the battery is fully charged, it slowly releases the electric power to the connected circuit powering a home. The battery is a capacitor with a steep charging and flatter discharging curve. This ensures the capacitor can continue to keep the connected home(s) powered throughout the day.
250-Watt Solar Panel Price and Specification
The major fact one needs to know before delving deep into the discussion of 250-watt 12v solar panels price in India is its types. So, below, we have explained the three major types of solar panels available for residential and commercial use.
- Monocrystalline panel: One of the most common types of 250-watt solar panel is monocrystalline. It has an energy efficiency between 19% and 20%, which is why it is considered the best option for residential needs. These solar panel types come with a higher price tag than other solar panel types.
- Polycrystalline panel: Polycrystalline panels have an energy efficiency of 16% to 17%, less than the monocrystalline type. Since multiple silicone cells make the entire arrangement, the 250-watt 12v solar panel prices in India are more affordable.
- Bifacial panel: The bifacial 250-watt solar panel is the most advanced type and is considered to have an energy efficiency of 22%. Both the front and the rear side of the panel carry solar cells to give a higher energy output. The price of bifacial solar panels is much higher in comparison to the two types discussed above.
Now that we have discussed the types, let’s understand the 250-watt solar panel prices in India.
|250-watt panel type||Price range|
|Monocrystalline panels||INR 6500 TO INR 7500|
|Polycrystalline panels||INR 6000 TO INR 7000|
**The actual 250-watt solar panel prices in India vary by 10% to 12% based on location, number of panels needed, manufacturer, and other installation requirements.
The technical specifications of the 250-watt solar panel (12 volts) are as follows.
|Power output||250 watts|
|Voltage output||20.2V to 12.38A|
|Dimensions||65 x 39 inches (1651 x 991 millimeters)|
|Efficiency||15% to 18% or above|
|Operating temperature||-40°C to +85°C|
|Warranty||15 to 25 years (depending on the brand)|
Disadvantages of 250-Watt Solar Panel
Following are the two main disadvantages of the 250-watt solar panel.
- First, the energy efficiency of the 250-watt panels is between 16% to 18% maximum. Only the Bifacial panels can yield an efficiency of 22%.
- A high number of 250-watt solar panels are required to build a high-capacity solar system to power multiple establishments with higher energy requirements. In such cases, solar panels of higher capacity are a more feasible choice.
Requirement of a 250-Watt Solar Panel to Fulfil Power Needs
The 250-watt solar panel needs to be connected to form the entire solar system per the power requirements. Below is a brief list of the number of panels needed per the energy needs.
|Solar system capacity||Energy unit generation||No. of 250-watt solar panel needed|
Applications of a 250-Watt Solar Panel
There are tons of applications for the 250-watt solar panel owing to its lower cost and easier installation process. These are:
- Home lighting system: The 250-watt solar panel is an excellent choice for residential use. It can provide enough power to run essential home appliances like refrigerators, washing machines, and air conditioning units, reducing the dependence on the grid and saving money on energy bills.
- Off-grid use: The 250-watt solar panel is perfect for off-grid applications such as cabins, RVs, and boats. It can provide power for lighting and heating systems and other appliances, allowing users to enjoy the comfort of home even in remote locations.
- Agricultural use: Farmers can benefit from the installation of 250-watt solar panels to power their operations. Solar panels can be used to run irrigation systems, lighting, and other farm equipment, reducing energy costs and increasing efficiency.
- Educational use: Solar panels are a great way to teach students about renewable energy and sustainable living. A 250-watt solar panel can be used to power educational displays, workshops, and experiments, providing a hands-on learning experience.
- Transportation use: A 250-watt solar panel can be used to charge electric cars, buses, and other vehicles, providing a clean and efficient source of energy for transportation.
Subsidy for a 250-Watt Solar Panel
Although the 250w solar panel price might seem a bit high when considering the costs of the entire solar system, you can avail government-offered solar subsidies. The MNRE has launched the rooftop solar subsidy program to encourage the use of grid-connected solar systems among residential consumers. Eligible consumers can apply for subsidy benefits online on the National Portal for Rooftop Solar. Here are the fixed subsidy rates for different system capacities applicable throughout India.
|Rooftop Solar System Capacity||Applicable Subsidy (₹)|
|Up to 3kW||14,588/kW|
|Above 3kW and up to 10kW||7,294/kW*|
|Note: *₹14,588/kW for the first 3 kW and ₹7,294/kW for the rest of the capacity up to 10kW.
**The subsidy amount is fixed for rooftop solar systems above 10kW capacity.
Is the number of solar panels fixed at 250 watts?
No, the number of 250-watt solar panels will vary according to the total system requirement. For instance, 4 panels are needed for a 1 kW solar system, while 40 panels are needed for a 10 kW system.
What is the price of a monocrystalline 250-watt solar panel?
The average 250-watt solar panel price in India with monocrystalline cells is estimated between INR 6500 TO INR 7500. The exact price can change based on the solar panel manufacturer, installation requirements, battery, inverter to be used, and other factors.
Is the 250w solar panel size very small?
The 250w solar panel dimensions are small enough for most Indian rooftop structures in residential and commercial areas. A 250w panel typically has a size of around 17.5 square feet (1.62 square metres), and 250-watt solar panel dimensions are approximately 65 x 39 inches (1651 x 991 millimetres).
Which 250-watt solar panel has the maximum energy output efficiency?
The bifacial 250-watt solar panel (12 volts) has the highest energy output efficiency of 22% and the highest market price. If price is a concern, you may want to consider monocrystalline or polycrystalline panels.
What is the lifespan of a 250-watt solar panel?
The lifespan of a 250-watt solar panel can vary depending on various factors, such as quality, installation, maintenance, and environmental conditions. Generally, a high-quality solar panel that is installed correctly and well-maintained can last for up to 25 years or longer.