A photovoltaic (PV) module comes in different power ratings measured in wattage. A 100w solar panel can produce up to 100 W of DC power in ideal weather conditions. You might be looking for a portable solar energy setup for your vehicle or cabin. Or you may want durable panels for permanent exterior mounting. No matter the nature of your on-grid and off-grid applications, 100-watt solar panels are worth considering.
Unlike higher-wattage solar panels, 100-watt solar panel prices are budget-friendly. The panels are lightweight, portable, and can supply 300-600 watt-hours of power daily, depending on the peak sun hours your location receives. In case you are wondering if this wattage is suitable for your energy needs, consider the specifications, benefits, disadvantages, and types to make a confident choice.
Benefits of 100-Watt Solar Panel
A 100-watt solar panel is one of the most cost-efficient options for running a humble household or a small commercial space. Solar energy generated on-site by your panels has incredible financial and environmental advantages.
- Runs Small Devices: A panel of 100-watt capacity can provide enough energy to power up your day-to-day appliances for domestic and commercial use. These include lighting systems, mobiles, cable boxes, laptops, and electronic devices.
- Fits Small Spaces: If space is a concern, a 100-watt solar panel kit is worth considering. A single panel is 47×21.3×1.4 inches in dimensions, which is relatively small. The module can be installed on the balcony or roof in urban and rural homes.
- Portability: Solar 100-watt panels are lightweight and conveniently portable. If you are often on the road or in outdoor camps, you can securely carry the solar panels and receive the power you need on the go. Simply mount the panels on your vehicle’s roof or camping site to charge your small appliances and devices.
- Easy to Install: Setting up a 100-watt solar panel system is simple and doesn’t require extensive technical knowledge as is necessary for setting up higher-capacity solar systems.
- Affordable: 100w solar panel prices in India are more affordable than traditional energy expenses. The upfront solar investment is a one-time cost that secures 20-25 years of zero-cost electricity supply. This panel size is easily available online and in stores at competitive prices.
Working of a 100W Solar Panel
A single 100w solar panel comprises a cluster of solar photovoltaic cells manufactured from silicon – a semi-conductive material. When the sunlight falls on the panel’s surface, its energy or photons interact with silicon and set electrons in motion in the solar cell. An electric field created by positively and negatively charged semiconductors on the panel directs these electrons to flow towards the conductive metal plates. This creates an energy current in DC form.
The DC current passes through a series of wires through the solar inverter, which converts the current into AC electricity. AC energy is used to run appliances and electronics. A 100w 12v solar panel can be tied to a local grid or used as an independent power source in remote locations.
100-Watt Solar Panel Price and Specification
The 100w solar panel price is a major consideration when getting solar for domestic or commercial use. As a lower-wattage option, this solar panel capacity is ideal for consumers looking for budget-friendly solar components.
When considering 100-watt 12-volt solar panels, you have three options to choose from monocrystalline, polycrystalline, and bifacial solar panels.
Each solar panel type is unique in terms of cost, solar energy generation capacity, durability, efficiency rating, and more.
Monocrystalline solar panels are high-efficiency solar panels with a 15-20% rating. This means more kilowatt per hour output is generated for each square foot area covered. Mono panels can generate power even on cloudy or weak sunlight days. They are slightly more durable than poly panels but have a higher price tag.
Polycrystalline solar panels are less efficient than solar panels with a 13-16% rating. They are the least expensive option to generate clean solar power. During peak sun hours, poly panels can give energy output to its maximum capacity. High-quality poly panels are as durable as mono panels, though they deteriorate faster when exposed to high temperatures.
A bifacial solar panel is the best option for maximum energy generation in a limited space. A bifacial solar panel has solar cells on both sides, giving you nearly double the output you can get using traditional solar panels.
Below is a tabular representation of solar panel 100-watt prices in India. These are estimated price ranges for different solar panel types available on the market.
|100-watt panel type||Estimated Price range|
|Monocrystalline panels||₹3800 to ₹4300|
|Polycrystalline panels||₹3500 to ₹4000|
|Bifacial panels||₹4000 to ₹7000|
**The actual 100-watt 12-volt solar panel price in India may vary by 10% to 12% based on the location, number of panels needed, manufacturer, and other installation requirements.
The technical specifications of the 100-watt solar panel are as follows:
|Peak power||300-600 watt-hours per day|
|AMP||30-36 amps of current in a day|
|Number of Cells||36|
|Efficiency||16-23%, depending on the type of panel|
Disadvantages of 100-Watt Solar Panel
- Not 100% Reliable: Solar panels depend on sunlight to produce electricity. Therefore, the generation of power declines during winter months or on bad weather days.
- High Initial Cost: Although solar is a one-time investment, the initial cost is considerable. Most consumers can recover their initial solar 100-watt price within 6-8 years through reduced energy usage expenses. This payback period may vary depending on location, weather, and other factors.
- Problem of Efficiency: The efficiency rating of a solar panel is the biggest determinant of how much energy you can expect to receive across different seasons. Low efficiency means more panels are needed to generate the desired energy units. As you move up on the efficiency scale, per-panel cost also increases.
- Installation Area: Setting up a solar PV module requires space. If you have a very limited rooftop space that receives shade from neighbouring structures and trees, installing a 100-watt solar panel module can be challenging and costly.
Requirement of a 100-Watt 12-Volt Solar Panel to Fulfil Power Needs
Determining your power requirement is the first crucial step in selecting the panel wattage and the number of panels you need to generate the desired energy output. A 100-watt 12-volt solar panel is suitable for small-scale applications and doesn’t require a lot of space for installation unless you go for high-capacity systems.
Here is a rough estimation of the number of panels required to make up different system sizes.
|Solar system capacity||Estimated Energy Output
|No. of 100-watt solar panel needed|
|1 kW||120 units||10|
|2 kW||240 units||20|
|3 kW||360 units||30|
|5 kW||600 units||50|
|7.5 kW||900 units||75|
|10 kW||1200 units||100|
Applications of a 100-Watt Solar Panel
A 100-watt solar panel can be used in a variety of ways, including:
- Charging day-to-day gadgets such as smartphones, smartwatches, laptops, and tablets
- For operating the cable box and watching TV
- For powering up the router to ensure internet connectivity
- For powering LED lights, ceiling fans, and other small electronics inside your home
- For running a mini refrigerator or small car refrigerator during road journeys
- For charging your electronics and devices during an outdoor event or a camping night
- For your festive or decor lights
- For running your electric cooktops for outdoor cooking.
- For running a small AC or heater unit, given that you use multiple 100-watt solar panels
Simply evaluate the amount of electricity an appliance uses to decide whether a 100w solar panel can run it for several hours.
Subsidy Applicable for a Solar 100-Watt Panel
The rooftop solar subsidy scheme by the MNRE is a program that aims to make solar transition financially convenient for household consumers. Under the subsidy scheme, individual homeowners and housing societies installing a solar energy plant can avail a fixed subsidy amount per kW of their system size.
You can determine if you are eligible for subsidy on your 100w solar panel price and how you can receive financial aid by visiting the National Portal for Rooftop Solar. Check out the help documents under the Simplification Procedure tab for eligibility information.
Grid-connect solar systems installed by empanelled solar vendors are eligible for the following fixed subsidy rates:
|Rooftop Solar System Capacity||Applicable Subsidy (₹)|
|Up to 3 kW||14,588/kW|
|Above 3 kW and up to 10 kW||7,294/kW*|
|Above 10 kW||94,822**|
|Resident Welfare Associations (RWA) / Group Housing Societies (GHS)||₹7,294/- per kW
For common facilities up to 500 kWp @ 10 kWp per house, with the upper limit being inclusive of individual rooftop plants already installed by individual residents in that GHS/RWA at the time of installation of RTS for common activity.
|Note: *₹14,588/kW for the first 3 kW and ₹7,294/kW for the rest of the capacity up to 10 kW.
**The subsidy amount is fixed for rooftop solar systems above 10 kW capacity.
How long will it take a 12V battery to be fully charged by a 100w solar panel?
The battery rating and various other parameters are relevant. For instance, if a 12V 50Ah battery is 20% drained, it will charge in 2 hours. If it is 50% discharged, it will charge in 4 hours. Hence, utilising a 100w solar panel, it will take a 12V 50Ah solar battery about 5-8 hours to fully charge.
What can a 100-watt 12-volt solar panel power?
A 100w 12v solar panel can power small appliances such as lights, fans, and mobile chargers. Using this wattage, it may not be feasible to power larger appliances such as air conditioners or refrigerators.
How many 100-watt solar panels do I need to power a home?
The number of solar panels required depends on a household’s energy usage. Typically, a home may require between 1 kW to 5 kW of solar power, needing 10 to 50 panels of 100 watts.
What is the lifespan of a 100-watt solar panel?
A good quality 100-watt solar panel can last anywhere between 25 to 30 years with proper maintenance and care. However, the panel’s efficiency may decrease over time due to weather conditions and standard wear and tear.
How many amps does a 100-watt solar panel kit produce?
A 100-watt solar panel kit can produce approximately 30-36 amps of current daily if the panels receive 6 hours of direct sunlight.